Acting as a community, both as businesses and as people is vital to how we navigate through the ever-changing coronavirus, or COVID-19 pandemic. The ICA is working closely with the World Health Organization (WHO), the Canadian Chamber of Commerce (CCoC), CEOLaw and YouGov to bring you this hub.
This hub will be updated regularly to provide the most up to date information that you may need. Already, the ICA has attended a session with Canadian health officials and with Dr. David Nabarro, World Health Organization (WHO) Special Envoy for COVID-19, as we look to curate the best and most relevant HR, health and economic information for the industry.
ICA partner YouGov will be constantly monitoring the general public’s feelings about this evolving situation and providing data for this hub.
If there is any other information you feel would be useful please email: email@example.com
Public Health Information
Forward to Work Resources
In order to open your agency, you must develop a COVID-19 Operational Plan outlining how daily operations will be managed to meet the additional measures outlined by the Federal, Provincial or Minicipal government or health departments. Your first step should be conducting a risk assessment (number and intensity of contacts, social distancing) within your spaces and identify appropriate mitigation measures.
The government does not intend to provide sector-by-sector prescriptive checklists regarding what specific actions your agency will be required to comply with operational plan requirements. These will depend on individual factors such as the layout of your space, how you normally interact with clients/suppliers and more.
The government also does not intend to review operational plans in advance but may ask to see your plan during a scheduled or unscheduled visit by provincial officials. Your Operation Plan should include, at a minimum: COVID-19 Awareness (signage), Pre- Screening Tool, Physical Distancing, Cleaning and Disinfection Procedures, and Facilitating Personal Hygiene Etiquette.
Produced in collaboration with the Canadian Business Resilience Network (CBRN), Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety (CCOHS), Canadian Chamber of Commerce (CCoC), Canadian Payroll Association (CPA), CEOLaw, Ontario Workplace Safety & Prevention Service (OWSPS), Public Health & Safety Association (PHSA) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Business Continuity Guide (The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety)
- Business Continuity & Recovery Plan template (CCoC)
- Getting Your Workplace Ready (WHO)
- Pandemics Checklist (CDC)
- Pandemic Preparedness Checklist (Ontario, Workplace Safety & Prevention Services)
- Protecting Your Workplace & People (CEOLaw)
- Pandemic Preparedness for Business (CCoC)
Help & Advice
Government and NGO Programs for Employers
The Government of Canada has put in place Work-Sharing (WS) temporary special measures for employers affected by the downturn in business due to COVID-19. This program helps employers avoid layoffs by reducing employee’s work weeks.
- Canada and Provinces begin to publish guidelines for workforce reintroduction
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) 75% wage subsidy for all businesses including large businesses.
- A Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA) is a special emergency business account for SMEs. Contact your bank to apply for $40,000 of government guaranteed loans interest free for the first year. Loan forgiveness up to 25% will be forgiven if certain conditions are met.
- A co-lending program for SMEs through the BDC and financial institutions where eligible businesses may obtain incremental credit amounts of up to $6.25M.
- BDC asks that all companies speak to their commercial bank first for mortgage postponement, increased lines of credit (LOC) and an extension on AR that will qualify them for their LOC.
- Work with your payroll provider for access to the 75% wage subsidy.
- EDC assists exports of services with the Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP). Contact your financial institution
- Canada has deferred commodity tax payments (GST and HST)
- The Ontario government has increased the exemption for paying Employer Health Tax from $490K to $1M. Employers that have total annual payroll of up to $5M, the first $1M will be exempt from the EHT.
- Government partners with provinces and territories to deliver Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA)
- Canada: Preventing COVID-19 in the Workplace
- Canada: Risk-Informed Decision-Making Guidelines for Workplaces
- Canada: Workplace Disinfectants List
- Return to Work: 6 Questions Answered
- Returning to Work Post COVID-19
- Ontario: Reopening Plan
- Ontario: Framework for Reopening (Business Guidance)
- Workforce Reintroduction: Check List
- WorkSafe BC: Workforce Reintroduction
- 75% wage subsidy approved by Parliament & update on 30% revenue reduction calculation
- 75% CEWS Calculation – Submission date April 27th
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) Backgrounder
- Canadian government announces 75% wage subsidy
- How to calculate the 10% wage subsidy – payroll companies will not do this for you
- Federal Relief Measures Guide
- Bank of Canada cuts interest rates to 0.25%
- Canada’s Economic Response Plan
- Guide to decoding BDC and EDC government financing programs for SMEs
- Contact Info: Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) 1-877-232-2269
- BDC Working Capital Financing Under $100,000
- BDC Working Capital Financing Over $100,000
- BDC Application for Financing
- BDC Statement of Personal Affairs
- Contact Info: Export Development Canada (EDC) 1-800-229-0575
- EDC and financial institution BCAP program for exporters
- Commodity Tax Deferrals
- Ontario commodity tax relief bulletin
- Ontario Action Plan – Support for Businesses to Improve Cash Flow
- BC Action Plan
- Work-Sharing Program - Temporary special measures for the downturn in business due to COVID-19
- How to make work-sharing work for you
- Chamber of Commerce - COVID-19 Business Resilience
- Canadian Business Resiliency Network
- Schedule of Provincial and Federal Deferrals
- Canadian Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA)
- Dealing with Landlords
- Job Posting/Candidate Profile Portal
- CBRN Small Business Relief Fund
Government and Charitable Programs for Employees
- CRA and Revenu Quebec extend tax deadline to June 1, 2020
- Ontario provides $3.7 billion to support people and jobs
- nabs Canada is a registered charity that provides support for individuals in the media, marketing and communications industry
- $2,000 Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
- 2019 Income Tax Filing Deferral
- One-time benefits for Individuals
- National Benevolent Society Canada (nabs) Support Page
- Morneau Shepell Toolkit
- Tips for Making Zoom Meetings Fun
- Job Posting/Candidate Profile Portal
Canadian Business from StatsCan
Agency Resources and Points of View for the Industry
- Product Design Insights from Around the Web by PowerShifter
- Committed to People & Purpose in Times of Crisis by Sid Lee
- It’s time to pivot – don’t wait. Advertise! By cairns oneil strategic media
- Stay connected to customers in meaningful and relevant ways by Mass Minority
- State of the Nation by Church + State
- Stepping Up by Weber Shandwick
Industry Calls to Action
- WHO Brief Global Call to Creatives
- AdAge Article Global Call to Creatives
- Help Canada combat Coronavirus disease – Buyandsell.gc.ca
Working From Home: Tools & Advice
(all suggested by member agencies, this is not an endorsement)
- Kahoot – game-based learning that brings teams together
- Sli.do – url based application for anonymous Q&A team participation
- Spice up your virtual meeting background picture
- Working from Home Doesn’t Just Save Lives, It Can Level The Field and Improve Innovation (Shane Snow, March 12th)
- Auxparty – while distracting, this can help keep culture in play. Create a virtual concert with team members
- Function Fox – Canadian owned and developed, project management tool
- Krisp – a background noise cancelling app for calls and videos
- Google Hangouts
- Humbledot – This is a tool to build efficiency and high quality communications without endless meetings
- Loom – Share product ideas and feedback
- Miranda – Time zone converter, world clock and meeting scheduler
- Miro – The online collaborative whiteboarding platform to bring teams together, anytime, anywhere
- Quip – Similar to googledocs, provide organization and search functionality
- Slack – yes, but you can customize it withslackthemes.net
- Zoom – Conference, telephone and video meetings solution
Information for Freelancers, Suppliers & Students
Now more than ever we need to support each other and stay connected to the community.
- Canada Summer Jobs Program set to be updated for COVID-19
- Existing Adobe customers qualify for 2 free months
- Adobe limited time offers for new customers
- Adobe announces more help for SMEs
- If you are a freelancer or solo-preneur looking to stay connected check out Communo and their community
Information for Parents & Caregivers
- Helping children and teens cope with social isolation
- How to Talk to Your Child
- Talking to kids about COVID-19
- TDSB Digital Learning Resources
- Ruffbooks – capture & nurture your child’s creativity
- Help Keep My Kids Busy!
- Sample Schedule for Toddlers
- Khan Academy Free Resources
- Scholastic Read Aloud Program
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- 10 Educational YouTube Channels for Kids
- Talking to Older Parents about COVID19
- 6 COVID-19 Myths Busted
- Physical Distancing in Nice Weather
- COVID-19 Cheat Sheet
- Indoor Scavenger Hunts @ Etsy